Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Mephisto Club Book Review

As part of my Triple 8 Reading Challenge I will be writing some book reviews throughout the year. Hopefully it will inspire me to continue on the JOURNEY I have started and not take off on a deadend detour. Don't worry, I won't be writing reviews for all of the 64 books I'll be reading during the year. Just those that inspire, touch a nerve, or create some response within me. So without further ado....I give you....

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerrissen.

The novel by New York Times bestselling author, Tess Gerritsen starts out with a bang. This one, unlike earlier medical thrillers, starts out with a serial killer, satanic symbols, and a medical examiner in love with a priest. One of my main delights with the book are the characters of Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles. featured in earlier books, the duo offset each other with that curious blend of serious and jovial. Rizzoli, as a detective is both mundane and fasinating. Her role is one recognized in thrillers and mysteries alike from James Patterson's Detective Cross to Agatha Christy's Poirot. The hard working, determined mystery solving dynamo. Isles, in love with a priest, is a bit more intriguing but none the less down to earth as crime solving medical examiner.
The theme of good versus evil, mixed with a nice dose of demons loose on earth provided just the right mixture of the common and the rare. Raising the question frequently pondered by scholars: Can you believe in God, without believing in satan? For there to be good, must there also be evil? The ending was a tad bit of a letdown. Wrapping up lots of loose ends, it still lingers in my mind that a better ending was surely available, The intrique, the questions, the history of biblical times, all woven neatly throughout the novel, to be tucked away in a neat little box at the end. Must admit I expected a bit more. However the novel is a good read, makes you think, and keeps you tied up asking "what next?"

No comments:

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...