Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Journey with Cooking

Through the years I have struggled in my JOURNEY with cooking. I enjoy cooking but have encountered lots of detours and more than my share of deadends. Here are some things that have created roadblocks in my journey.

  • Time: I enjoy cooking. I even like chopping fresh, colorful vegetables but not at 6:00 pm on a work night after a hectic day.
  • Ingredients: Did you ever notice that most of the yummy ingredients that really "make" a dish are not low cal? Also the expense and availability of quality ingredients have caused more than one turn around and go back on my journey.
  • Spices: How can 1/4 teaspoon full of basil or garlic salt make or break a recipe? For years I would skip these tiny add ons. Sometimes because of expense or sometimes because I was in the middle of a recipe to find my spice cabinet bare. Lately I have started to appreciate the finer points of spices. And YES....a 1/4 teaspoon can be the difference between a good dish and an awesome one.

So the journey with cooking has been like wandering lost in a desert. I have found a few oasis along the way but am still searching for that paradise. In other words, my journey continues.

No comments:

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...