Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Journey to Christmas


It's that time of the year. The time where I ponder the journey to Christmas. Not the holiday prep, nor trips to see Santa, and not even the wonderful drives to see the beautiful lights. No, those are just simply parts of the Christmas season. My trip is much more personal in nature. It is the trip to "see" to "feel" the peace and love of the season. The hope and faith in the silence rarely experienced during this most holy and beautiful of all seasons. Seldom in today's hectic world do we really allow ourselves to STOP and feel. We are so caught up in the busy, hectic events of life that at times we miss out on life altogether.

When you read my blog, you come to realize that I am interested in many things and some appear to be in conflict with each other. I do not agree. I do not think that considering or thinking about other practices or beliefs "corrupts" one. A narrowly defined view of life creates a narrowly defined life. I want a broad life, a life that encompasses LIVING....not just existing. As such, I love to explore other belief systems, other cultures, other viewpoints. Honestly, along that journey I have found some gems to keep. They are not in conflict with my belief in God and Jesus. Rather I find that they enrich my understanding, deepen my awareness of the human experience and bring me joy.

Ok, back to the journey to Christmas. It is an individual journey. I have written before that I doubt I could have been as brave as the shepherds and left all that I knew to follow a star. Not questioning...just in wonder. Nor, even though I am generous, would I have been moved to bring the expensive offerings the wisemen offered?  These are questions that will never be answered. However here on this journey to Christmas I let these thoughts guide me.

Somebody once wrote a heartfelt letter to me and said that I give to others without expecting anything in return. I do not say that to praise myself but to point out that his comment was worth more to me than "expecting" anything in return. That comment let me know that I had touched someone's life in a good way, a positive way, that in and of itself, is better than expecting anything in return.  It is as close to the feelings of the wisemen that I might ever get.

So as you journey to Christmas this year. Try to expand your view. Try to let yourself "feel" the season. Let your heart guide you. You can't do everything. You can't change the world but you can change "your" world. 

Merry Christmas from Ginger's Journey!!

No comments:

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...