Sunday, March 6, 2011

Life and Voodoo Dolls


Life moves in mysterious ways...this is a pretty common expression. Have you ever wondered about the mystery of life? The whys and hows and what ifs? Of course you have...everyone has. As I have said many times before I believe that life is a journey and the universe often gives us subtle hints (or even SHOUTS in our ears) about paths to explore, ways to live life, adventures to take (and ones to avoid). So it didn't surprise me the other day to discover the idea of a voodoo doll being stuck with pins in my mind. This time of year in a school setting is always full of surprises and pinpricks.

When I voiced this little analogy, we laughed and I was reminded that change sometimes takes a little prodding. And while I do agree with that, I am also reminded that when we try to nudge things in certain directions sometimes we discover traps and snares, quicksand and dragons, mazes and riddles to solve. I'm not saying those pinpricks aren't necessary or productive. I'm just thinking...hold on to your voodoo doll.....because when you start exploring the vulnerable parts of people, when you start challenging engrained thinking, when you attempt to point out the logical....that's when the illogical raises it's ugy head.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not always logical. I have my own engrained and perhaps even outdated ideas. Sometimes I become passionate about something beyond reason. Hmmm....that's something I need to reflect on....that's certainly an area for self discovery. Most of the time, however, after I have a bit of time to cool down, reflect, acknowledge or ponder a situation I can at the very least see both sides of it. That must be the Libra in me, striving for balance. Honestly, there have been very few times, if any, in life that I have held a grudge. Now there may be people I decided not to be around or things I avoid and certainly things I don't agree with but as far as going out of my way to seek revenge or hold a grudge....No life is too short for that. Every minute I would be plotting revenge or holding a grudge would be a minute less to fully enjoy this journey through life! 

And yet those voodoo yielding people need to be aware of the dangers inherent in challenging thinking. It's not an easy job and the responses are frequently not logical, not what we hoped for. That's not to say it shouldn't be done. That's not to say that positive growth can't occur. It can and should or we become stagnant in our life's journey. It's just a reminder that when the pins have been stuck, hold on, because somewhere, usually from a corner where you least expect it...will come ...well....something will happen...whether its a full out frontal attack by a sleeping dragon or whether it is the equally disturbing stab in the back...or maybe something just as small as gossip (which can feel like being stuck in quicksand!)...there will be responses.  The best one can hope for is to hold on and wait for the wave to pass. Then only then can one judge if the efforts have helped us discover the hidden treasure chest filled with the gold and rubies of positive change.

 

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I have a voodoo doll!! And keep me updated with your ghost hauntings of the summer!

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...