Bittersweet New Year's Day

Photo: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
 
 
 
It's 2013. I always find New Years Eve and New Years Day a bit bittersweet. So many emotions and thoughts. Always lots of good memories but sometimes a few bad too. Things where one wishes they had said or done something differently. Perhaps it is that quest for the "perfect" year that makes it so.  For really isn't New Years Eve and New Years Day....just another day?  They do not and can not define the past year nor the future year. They are what they are...days of the year.
 
 
The quotation above was posted on Facebook on New Years Eve...and while they are just DAYS....they do define an ending and a beginning. In the hope of each new year there are possibilities, dreams, paths to follow. The pages are blank waiting to be filled with laughter, tears, adventures and boredom. Such is life. As we seek this "perfection" we forget that life is fluid and that things happen for reasons. Mostly for reasons that we cannot even fathom. Now I do not believe for a moment that we float helplessly through life...for even though there is reason there is also individual factors that play out. The way we respond to adversity, the way we deal with loss, the way we celebrate victory, the way we treat others, the things we let dwell in our heads and the thoughts we vanquish. All of these and many more play a role in the year ahead.  Things do happen for reasons but we also have some personal power over how we let them play out in our lives.
 
 
I decided to look at that serenity prayer again before choosing my word....
 
 
The short, best known version....
 
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
 
The longer original prayer offered by Reinhold Niebuhr......
 
God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

I like the longer version best. :)  It reminds me of when a book is made into a movie...often good parts are lost...I especially like the "living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time..."  So true of how I hope to live 2013. Live in the moment!  Let go of the past...and stop worrying about the future.

Well I'm rambling again....the sure sign that this post at Ginger's Journey must end.  Have a great first day of 2013. Be yourself and love the day you have been gifted with!
 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Day

Recipe Creativity

Little Treasures