The Last Year: Goodbye September


I haven't blogged in a while....too busy living life...and working....yea working....that little task that eats up a lot of time!

Well Goodbye September.

We ended September with one of those most beloved (not) Professional Development days. We talked a lot about Smart Goals. Yes and we even made a flip book. S.M.A.R.T. We in education LOVE our little abbreviations and "slang".  SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Bound.

 Seriously, I don't know how much smarter I can stand to get. Goal setting is one of those things that we've had in one manner or the other for as long as I've been in education. We can write one MEAN smart goal but the truth is in the implementation. Goal writing and data...all pales in comparison to the art of teaching. YES, that's what I said...the ART of teaching. That's what we've lost...

Teaching is exhausting. You can say what you want about Christmas breaks, summer vacations and the like but working with children, trying to meet the needs of a multitude of children from all back grounds, trying to care (when maybe no one else does)but not let it wipe you out at the end of the day, keeping your energy up while tackling problems that college never prepared you for, working hard to please parents, administrators, DESE and the entire community while still doing what your heart tells you is best for kids..........

I remember in my early years of teaching that I loved September, I looked forward to the first day of school, worked on bulletin boards, and set up my classroom for hours. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve, so excited to start a new school year. I was so lucky to get two fresh starts every year. One in January when the new year started and one in August/September when the new school year got under way. With the passage of time some of the glow has faded. I think part of it is being a counselor now instead of a kindergarten teacher. Nothing can compare to the joy of 5 year olds when they start school Yes some start screaming and crying but overall their intense love of learning is still there! Yet some of it is the changes in society and in education itself. It's intense. We might still be teaching children but are we teaching them to love learning? 

Goodbye September....goodbye my last Labor Day weekend before retirement, goodbye September 504 meetings, goodbye September faculty meeting, and goodbye my last first day of fall while working!  It will be interesting to see what September feels like in 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Day

Recipe Creativity

Little Treasures