Thursday Therapy: Five Tips for Being Happy
Happiness is more an internal trait than an external one. Oh there are things that make us smile, make us laugh and lift our spirits but in the end it's what's inside that really produces happiness.
1. Don't compare yourself to others. What's the point? There will always be someone thinner, prettier, richer, more successful. Sound depressing? It's really not...once you realize that there will NEVER be anyone just like you!
2. Find stories to treasure. Memories, random stories that you collect from others, folktales, stories of your adventures, family stories. I believe that stories are the fabric that holds our lives together. Live! Make stories!
3. Don't take life too seriously. Sometimes we get so hung up on the should haves and could haves and all that other stuff that we forget to breath. We forget to look around us, to be aware of life. It's the ebb and flow of life that has meaning....not all the things that pound us and worry us and cause us to pause.
4. Make people a priority. Live outside yourself. Give freely. Embrace what comes your way. Breath, Dance, Sing, Laugh! Do the things that make you happy. Not selfishly but with joy!
5. Stop looking for meaning in everything that happens. Sometimes there isn't any and if there is...maybe it isn't really yours to know right now. Let go of things. Stop trying to figure out mean people, politics, hatred and other things that bring you down. Let them go. Live life as if they no longer exist and perhaps they will shrink to such a small part of life that they become unimportant.