Monday, April 28, 2014

40 Days 40 Words: Freedom


I'm at the corner of Freedom Street!

I know, I know, everyone that's retired say they are so busy they don't even know how they did it when they worked. That's OK.....I want to experience it! People have been asking me what I am going to do when I retire.....my answer is usually...."what ever I want to."  It's hard for me to even imagine the reality of a day where I decide when and what I want to do. Oh, I know it won't be EXACTLY like that...but still......hours of a week stretching ahead where I can focus on things I love, get some projects done, and stay up as late as I want!


What exactly is freedom?  Those fighting for our country are fighting for it. People exalt it. I crave it....but what precisely is it?

 
Wow this certainly can be true in retirement. In education, not so much. We do have a variety of people working in the education field but overall there are some things that inhibit the expression of self.  We must live by the motto of "whatever is best for the students" and yet no one can truly know what is best. There are a variety of approaches and decisions that might go either way but they are defended to the end as
"what's best for kids."
We must be "team players" even when the team is headed in a direction that we may not personally believe in.... even a direction that... let's face it ....is just dumb!
We must be positive at all times so as not to be labeled as" negative" or "uncooperative."




 
I want to stand in the field of freedom. To breath in the scent of the flowers growing there. To feel the breeze of freedom caressing my skin. I want to know that the me I am can express herself without frowns or eye rolls (ok with my friends that might not happen). I want to be FREE to be me, to do what I want (most of the time) to have control over the hours of my day and to be able to really relax without some nagging expectation lurking in the shadows of my mind.
 
Sounds good, right?



No comments:

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...