Friday, April 11, 2014

40 Days and 40 Words: Beginnings


I was super excited to land my first teaching job at Bellflower Missouri teaching first grade. As luck would have it and as so often happens about two weeks later I received a phone call from Warrenton for a teaching position but as I had already signed my contract with Montgomery County I had to turn them down.

So I started my career in education with NINE first graders in a small school that housed one section each of  K-5th grade. The principal was only there part of the time so we were like an island to ourselves.

There are lots of beginnings in my years in education. The beginning of teaching, the beginning of a new school district (when I accepted a job at the Warren County R-3 district), the beginning of great friendships with Mary Ruth Schomberg and Fran Martin (just to name a couple of my old teaching partners), the beginning of my masters program, the beginning of counseling, the beginning of my years at the middle school, and the beginning of this last year in education.

Beginnings can be exciting and rewarding. They can also be scary and stressful. I remember when our new teachers meetings for Warrenton were held in  the band room of what is now Black Hawk Middle School. My how the district has grown! I also remember great times with great teachers, a special connection and a sense of community. This is one of the things I feel is sadly lacking in our district right now. I'm not saying it is nonexistent but it is not the same sense of school community that we used to have. It is not as strong, supportive and caring.

 
After retirement I will start another new beginning, one that is both exciting and a little scary. One can not devote 30 years of life to a place, a career, a way of life without feeling just a little shaky at the thought of losing that structure to your days, your weeks, your months and your year. I've decided to think of my "new" beginning like this.....
 
 
 
Beginnings aren't for weak people. They take courage and faith and a lot of thought.
 
I'll se you tomorrow right here at Ginger's Journey with another word....

No comments:

Featured Post

Thursday March 12th was our first full day in Shanghai and it was a whirlwind of activity. We headed to Starbucks first for a taste of home ...