40 Days 40 Words: Messengers


Today's word is messengers.  The reason I use the word messenger instead of message is because I want to focus on the bringer not the message. We get messages all the time, whether we believe it or not. Part of intuition is being able to "pick up" or receive the messages sent to us by the world or even the universe. Sometimes we get messages via a beautiful sunset that reminds us of the beauty of life. Other times we get messages from animals as we watch their playful nature and are reminded that life needs to include this aspect. Sometimes messages are sent via dreams. Messages can also be carried to us by people or certain types of people.

Today though I want to focus on the messengers that are sent into our lives to teach us something or to simply deliver a message. Many times we don't understand the message until much later or we don't even "hear" the message. The message can be sent through people we love, people we dislike, a certain type of person, a stranger on the train of life, an old dear friend, animals, dreams, beautiful things in nature or our own inner selves. To me living a life of purpose means that we observe, we listen, we "notice" the world around us.

 
I've received lots of messages through life. Some I listened to, others I ignored. Many times it is only later that I realized the folly of ignoring these messengers. At other times I have been deaf to the message, failing to even recognize it as such. Messengers have a lot to tell us about life, ourselves and spirit.
 
In education, I've had the privilege of meeting many messengers. Kids with incredible resilience, kids without boundaries, bullies and victims, all have a message. These messengers can be pint sized but they carry a big punch. It has been my great honor to try to understand the worlds they live in, some quite similar to mine and others very different. It has been to my benefit that I have witnessed their mistakes and their triumphs.
 
Messengers come in adult size too. People I admire, people that drive me batty and people that I really wonder about. Sometimes I've met the same "type" of person over and over again. "They" say that it is because you have not received the message, you haven't learned the lesson and therefore the encounter will occur over and over again. Let's just say I must be dense in some parts of my life!
 
 
I have a very eclectic approach to spirit.  I like to explore and muse about many different spiritual paths. That doesn't mean I'm straying from my path, it simply means I am learning and growing in spiritual wisdom.
 
"Test all things; hold fast what is good." I Thessalonians 5:21
 
The great value of messengers is that whether they gently nudge us or slap us in the face they have helped direct our path. They contribute to the richness of our lives. Even the ones we wish we had avoided. Some messengers stay in our lives a long time and some are fleeting visitors. No matter the duration they have served a purpose.
 
Thank you to the many messengers in my life, even those who do not realize they have delivered one!
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Day

Recipe Creativity

Little Treasures